|Job vacancy at Ifakara Health Institute-IHI|
Job vacancy at Ifakara Health Institute-IHI
This Job vacancy at Ifakara Health Institute-IHI requires an environmental scientist to work for an organisation.
Position: Environmental Scientist (1 post)
Reports to: PI / Project Leader
Work station: Rufiji
Apply by: October 30, 2019
Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) is a leading research organization in Africa with a strong track record in developing, testing and validating innovations for health. Driven by a core strategic mandate for research, training and services, the Institute’s work now spans a wide spectrum, covering biomedical and ecological sciences, intervention studies, health-systems research and policy translation.
Job vacancy at Ifakara Health Institute-IHI Position Summary
IHI is looking for experienced Environmental Scientist with analytical chemistry skills to work with the Broad One Health Endectocide-based Malaria Intervention in Africa (BOHEMIA) project funded by the UNITAID.
This project aims to evaluate the efficiency, safety, acceptability, cost-effectiveness, and environmental impact of ivermectin-based intervention to provide strong and systematic evidence to local, national and international regulatory authorities to support decision on policy of using ivermectin to reduce malaria transmission.
The candidate will conduct laboratory, semi-field and field experiment to evaluate the environmental effects of ivermectin in the water and soil on non- targeted organism when applied to human and /or livestock especially cattle to reduce malaria transmission.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct sample collections from cattle faces water and soil.
- Conduct analytical chemistry for the sample from semi-field and field conditions.
- Provide written progress report of all experiments to the principal investigator.
- Maintain adequate inventory of supplier for day to day project operations.
- Participate in training and supervising research officer, technicians in the in the team when required.
- Participate in study design, protocol development, data collection and analysis as well as manuscript writing.
- Maintain appropriate relationships between staff within and between units at IHI.
- Undertake any other duties that the PI shall reasonably require from time to time.
- Check the content from village participants before the start of field experiments.
- Ensure the project is conducted with other staffs within and between departments at IHI regularlyat scheduled meetings.
Job vacancy at Ifakara Health Institute-IHI Qualification and Experience
Holder of a master’s degree in chemistry or environmental chemistry.
Applicants must have GRE and IELTS/ TOEFL test scores (compulsory) ready for the immediate application for a PhD place in the US.
Experience in malaria research or analytical chemistry will be an added advantage.
Job vacancy at Ifakara Health Institute-IHI Skills and Competencies
- Ability to manage and lead project team.
- Analytical chemistry.
- Proven interpersonal skills to deal with different scientists, technicians, accounts and administrators.
- Excellent written and fluent spoken English and Kiswahili Language.
- Self-motived and time building.
- Ability to work with communities in rural areas.
An attractive and competitive remuneration package will be offered to a successful candidate as per IHI salary scales.
IHI is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit intentional biases or discrimination and harassment of any kind at the work place and during recruitment. All employment decisions are based solely on job requirements and individual qualifications, and our recruitment process is governed by the labour laws of Tanzania.
Read about best ways to be enrolled to this job by reviewing >>>Best tips for successful job interview
Mode of Application for Job vacancy at Ifakara Health Institute-IHI
All applicant who meet the above job requirements should send their application letter together with their detailed curriculum vitae (CVs) showing contact addresses including email, telephone/cellphone number and copies of academic and professional certificates to the address below. Apply by October 30, 2019 at 17:00 hrs. All e-mail subject lines should read: Environmental Scientist –PhD.
Note: only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview. Human Resources Manager, Ifakara Health Institute, Kiko Avenue, Mikocheni, P.O. Box 78373, Dar es Salaam